NOORUL ISLAM UNIVERSITY | ROUTE MAP | TOURIST SPOT | DOWNLOADS

Tourist spot

Vivekananda Rock Memorial

Vivekananda Rock Memorial is another place in Kanyakumari which attracts large number of tourists. As its name implies, it is essentially a sacred monument, built by the Vivekananda Rock Memorial Committee to commemorate the visit of Swamy Vivekananda to “Shripada Parai” during 24th, 25th and 26th December 1892 for deep meditation and enlightenment.

From very ancient times, the rock has been regarded as sacred place. In Puranic tradition, it has been known as “Sripada Parai: meaning the rock, that has been blessed by the touch of Shripada feet of the Goddess.On the rock, is a projection similar in form to a human fort and a little brownish in complexion, which has traditionally, been revered as a symbol of Shripadam. According to legend, it was on this rock that Goddess Kanyakumari did Tapas. The memorial consists of two main structures, viz (i) Vivekananda Mandapam and (ii) Shripada Mandapam.

Vivekananda Mandapam:- This 180’-11 ½ ‘ X 56’ Mandapam consists of (1) Dhyana Mandapam, i.e., Meditation Hall with six adjacent rooms (2) Sabha Mandapam or the Assembly Hall including Pralima Mandapam (statue section) two rooms, a corridor and an open Prakaram round the Sabha Mandapam (30 Mukha Mandapam (Portion) and (4) the Front Entrance steps with two rooms and a corridor below the steps.

Shripada Mandapam:- This square hall consists of (1) Garbha Graham i.e., (Sanctum Sanctorum) (2) the Inner Prakaram (3) the Outer Prakaram and (4) the Outer Platform all around. Both the Mandapams are so designed that the vision of Swamiji in the statue would be seen direct towards the Shripadam. Visting Hours -7 AM To 4 PM . Entrance Fee - Rs 10 . Ferry Fee Rs 20 for adult .and Rs 10 for students.


Pechiparai Dam

About 43 km. from Nagercoil this dam has been constructed. This dam in Kalkulam Taluk, was built during the days of the Maharaja Sri Moolam Thirunal across the river Kodayar. The construction of the dam was designed on the pattern of the Periyar dam in the Madurai district. The length of the dam is 425.1 mts. It has a catchment area of 204.8 sq.km. There is a camp shed provided at the dam side for the visitors. The weather is very pleasant and hence attracts a large number of tourists.

The reservoir is surrounded by dense forests which are famous for their valuable trees and rich would life such as tiger, elephants, deer etc. A hill tribe, small in number known as ‘Kanikars’ dwell in the dense forests around the lake.


Vattaparai

Vattaparai Falls are located at: 8°15.919′N 77°27.062′E, elevation 40 m (130 ft), in the Keeriparai reserve forest near Bhoothapandi village (Pin:629852) (Met Sta #10145) on the Pazhayar River in Kanyakumari district, Tamil Nadu state, South India.[1] It is 25 km (16 mi) N of Nagercoil) and 32 km (20 mi) NW of Kanyakumari. This 20 km2 (7.7 sq mi) area is proposed to be a Wildlife Sanctuary

There are a few small waterfalls in this area - the nicer ones being Vattaparai Falls and Kalikesam falls. There is a small Kali temple, next to the falls. This is a very serene and undeveloped place with only one small tea stall. One can enjoy water rushing through small mountain streams, ferns and pebbles in the rainforests. The falls are surrounded by forest on all sides and forms part of an active animal corridor. The long stream is pollution-free. People are allowed to take a natural bath here and it is believed that the water from the stream has some medicinal effects.This is a serene and peaceful place. It is unlike the most popular falls in this district, the Tirparappu Water Falls on the Kodayar River, which has become a typical crowded tourist spot


Tirparappu Water Falls

The Kodayar makes its descend at Tirparappu and the water fall at this place is about 13km. from Pechiparai dam.

The river bed is rocky and about 300 feet in length. The water falls from a height of nearly 50 feet and the water flows for about seven months in a year. The whole bed above the falls is one rocky mass which extends up to a distance of about quarter of a kilometer upstream where the famous Thirparappu weir has been constructed for supplying water to the paddy fields. On either side of the river, on the left bank of the river in between the water falls and the weir, there is a temple dedicated to Siva enclosed by strong fortification. The District Administration has recently constructed a swimming pool for children over here which is very popular among the children.


Gandhi Mandapam

The place has been associated with great men like Swami Vivekananda and Mahatma Gandhi in whose names memorials have been here. They are very beautiful and add to the attraction of this place. The beautiful Gandhi Memorial completed in 1956, is situated as a memorial to the Father of the Nation. An urn of Mahatma Gandhi was kept here for public to pay homage before immersion.Mahatma Gandhi visited Kanyakumari twice in 1925 and 1937. Mahatma Gandhi visited Kanyakumari in January 1937.     In 1948 his ashes were immersed in the sea waters in Kanyakumari.In commemoration of this event a beautiful monument has been constructed here. Its central shape is 79 feet high representing the age of the Mahatma at the time of the sun at Mid day on 2nd October would fall on the peedam through a hole in the roof. The memorial was transferred to the administrative control of the Public    (Information and Public Relations) Department from Public Works    Department of Government of Tamil Nadu in the year 1978.

Thiruvalluvar Statue

Thiruvalluvar is the immortal poet of Tamil Nadu and has given to the world Thirukkural. The memorial statue of Thiruvalluvar is in Kanyakumari. The pedestal of the statue is of 38 feet height and the statue over it is 95 feet tall with a grand total of 133 feet for the entire sculpture.

The 3 tier pedestal known as Atharapeedam is surrounded by an artistic Mandapa known as Alankara Mandapam with 38 feet height. Surrounding the Alankara Mandapa stand 10 elephant statues signifying 8 directions with earth and space down. The father of Sri. Rama, the hero of Ramayana was called Dasaratha as he was able to charioteer in ten directions. To help the tourists to worship the holy feet of Thiruvalluvar 140 steps are constructed inside the Mandapa.

The pedestal with a height of 38 feet represents the 38 chapters in the Book of Aram in Thirukural and the statue of 95 feet on the pedestal represents the total chapters in Porul (70 chapters) and Inbam (25 Chapters). Thus the statue symbolically, and artistically signifies that the theme of Porul and Inbam are based on Aram. Visting Hours -8 AM To 4 PM .


Padmanabhapuram Palace

The ancient historical town Padmanabhapuram is one of the four municipalities in the district is 55 Km. south of Trivandrum, about two km. east of Thuckalay and 35 km. from Kanyakumari on the Trivandrum-Cape Comerin road. This town is surrounded by a fort with an area of 187 acres. The ancient capital of Travancore might be constructed before AD 1601. The palace with an area of seven acres, is situated in the very centre on the Padmanabhapuram Fort, amidst hills, dales and rivers. The palace which is situated in Kanyakumari District is under the control of a Curator of the Archaeological Department of Kerala Government.

The fort which was built with mud originally was dismantled and reconstructed with granite by Maharaja Marthanda Varma. The height of the walls varies from 15’ to 24’ according to the inclination of the ground.

Entrance Hall:- The entrance to the main edifice is controlled by another ornamental gateway with retainers for watch and ward. The gabled entrance has wooden ceiling profusely ornamented with lotus medallions. The most striking feature of the entrance is the clock-tower which is one of the oldest in India erected in 1832 A.D. and still continues to be in working order. The first floor the Poomuham has a council chamber or Mantrasala which is meant for holding discussions with ministers and prominent citizens. The floor off this hall, which is polished with the admixture of coconut shell ashes, eggs fermented in molasses and lime reflects the figure like a mirror. Next to the Mantrasala is the Dancing Hall which was used exclusively for the members of the royal family.

Adjacent to the Council Chamber and to the south of dancing hall is the dinning hall called “Uttupura”, with two floors (the ground and the first) each measuring roughly 78 by 6 metres and it would accommodate about 2000 people at a time. Feeding of about 2000 poor persons, it is said, was done here every day and so the king was called ”Dharmaraja”.

Uppirika Malika : - The most attractive building in the whole palace is the ‘Uppirika Malika’ which consists of three storied. ‘Uppirika’ is the abbreviated term of ‘Muppirika’ which means the residence of the eldest member of the family. A wooden cot is erected on the top most floor in the belief that “Lord Vishnu” the chief deity. The first floor contains a wooden cot made of 64 medicinal plants, on which Maharaja used to sleep. The medicinal cot was presented to Maharaja “Marthanda Varma” by the Dutch East India Company in 1750, as a mark of friendship.


Adhi Kesava Temple

The Sri Adikesavaperumal Temple (Malayalam: ശ്രീ ആദികേശവപെരുമാള്‍ ക്ഷേത്രം) is a Hindu temple located in Thiruvattar, India and is one of the 108 Divya desams, the holy sites of Hindu Vaishnavism. The temple is a picturesque setting surrounded on three sides by rivers (River Kothai, River Pahrali and River Thamirabarani).

The temple architecture is Kerala style architecture with wooden pillars, doors and roofs. The lord is lying on his snake couch and has to be viewed through three doors. We could see Lord Shiva near Lord Adikesava Perumal inside the sannidhi. Deepalakshmis are many but none resembles the other.

The Otraikkal Mandapam (single stone hall) made of a single stone 3 feet thick, is a marvel. Oorthuva Thandavam, Venugopala, Rathi, Manmatha, Lakshmana and Indrajit are excellently carved. The temple is also renowned for its murals.

This temple is older than the Sri Padmanabhaswamy temple at Thiruvananthapuram and one of the divya devams. [citation needed] The style and the architecture of this temple has been taken as the sample to construct the Sri Padmanabhaswamy Temple at Thiruvananthapuram. Thiruvananthapuram Sri Anantha Padmanabhaswamy temple deity lies in the direction as to see the Thiruvattar Adi kesava deity.

The main deity was originally covered with gold kavachams in which diamonds and other precious stones were embedded which the kerala kings had presented to the temple.There is also a small shrine for Lord Lakshmi Narasimhaswamy near the river and opposite to the Adikesavaperumal Temple. Nammalvar had sung 11 pasurams in praise of AdiKesavaSwamy.

Thiruvattar and the surrounding places in Kanyakumari district were once ruled by Kerala kings. There are also proofs on this in these towns, for example Padmanabhapuram Palace near Marthandam.

During their rule, they were worshiping the deity of Thiruvattar Temple. However, they changed the capital to Thiruvananthapuram during one of the Marthanda verma king's period after which Sri Anantha Padmanabhaswamy temple attained more glory.

The kings did not take away all the treasures from this temple.[citation needed] In fact, some of the treasures (i.e., the lord's kavacham and precious stones) were left in this temple also which is not found now. [citation needed] This was in recent years (15–20 years ago) that the treasure was looted.[citation needed] The treasure here was also worth few crores.[citation needed] Its believed that it has been robbed by many people.      [citation needed] The poojari who supported this committed suicide

Suchindrum

Suchindrum is a small village about 12 km. from Kanyakumari and about seven kilometres from Nagercoil. This holy place is located on the bank of the river Pazhayar, adjoining fertile fields and coconut groves and the temple is dedicated to Sri Sthanumalayan.The word denotes Siva, Vishnu and Brahma as. Sthanu represents Siva, Mal represents Vishnu while Ayan represents

Suchindrum means the place where Indra attained ‘Suchi’ i.e., purification. The Sthalapurana has it that Indra suffered a curse from sage Gowthama, when he stealthily cast amorous glances at Ahalya the wife of Gowthama. Not able to suffer the mortification brought about by the curse.

Indra had to seek immediate redemption. He came to ‘Gnana Aranya’ as this place was then called and offered worship to Lord Shiva. Relieving Indra of his curse, Lord Shiva granted him of his wish that the place where he attained purification should henceforth be called ‘Suchindrum’.

Another story goes to say that the Trimurthys i.e. Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva, cajoled by their divine consorts came down to the earth to test the chastity of Anusuya, wife of sage Athri at Gnana Aranya.

The Gods for this misadventure had to suffer a surse form the Rishipatni and to undergo the purification process, before they could be restored to their former glory.

It is said that Thanumalaya Swamy temple is the only shrine dedicated to the Trinity in India. The present structure of the temple is the work of a number of persons spread over a number of centuries. It is a complex of many beautiful structures constructed at various times and is one of the best specimens and a store house of the Dravidian style of art and architecture.


Mathur Aqueduct

It is the tallest as well as the longest trough bridge in Asia, having a height of 101 feet and a length of one kilometre. This is situated in Mathur, hamlet of Aruvikkarai revenue village in Thiruvattar Panchayat Union. It is across the river Parazhiyar.

The canal on the bridge carries water for irrigation from one side of a hill to the other side of a hill. The trough has a height of seven feet with a width of seven feet six inches. The canal is being shouldered by 28 huge pillars.

By the efforts of late Thiru. K. Kamaraj, the former Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu in 1966, this canal was constructed as a drought relief measure and for the development of agriculture in Vilavancode and Kalkulam Taluks


Ancient Jain temple on hill at Chitharal

Chitharal, a beautiful and wonderful place to visit is located in a small village situated at a distance of 7 km from Marthandam, 55 km from Kanyakumari, 30 km from Nagercoil and 52 km from Thiruvananthapuram.

Situated on the Tamiraparani riverbanks, Chitharal is famous for its hillocks and ancient Jain monuments which containing rock-cut sculptures of Thirthankaras and dieties.

A protected monument under Archeological Survey of India (ASI), this place attracts lots of visitors history buffs and devotees who try to trace the medieval Jain pilgrims of South India.

Chitharal is one of the last few vestiges of Jainism. Around the period of the decline of Jainism during the rule of the Cholas in the 11th Century, it is believed that Chandragupta Maurya, along with a Jain ascetic Badrabhahu, reached Sravanabelagola in 298 BC. Their disciples travelled to this area to spread Jainism and chose this hillock for meditation.

Historically known as Thirucharanathupalli – the abode of Jain monks belonging to Digambara sect, these sculptures are situated inside and outside the caves on a very long hill locally called Chokkanthoongi Hills.

To reach the Rock-Cut Temple, one have to take a 10 minute walk to the top of the hill. At the foot of the hill, at the entrance one can see a Kerala style arch made of rocks. There is an information board on the way to temple. Besides a huge banyan tree with so many branches.

There are benches for tourists to relax and colorful flowers and trees around these benches complets the beauty of this rocky place. Both the sides of the way are surrounded by medicinal value plants and trees. Ruined parts of ancient temples believed to be of Charanas (Jain ascetics) can be seen here.

At the top of the hill, one can see two large rocks. The view from a small window created by these rocks is spectacular - one can enjoy the beauty of rivers, lakes, fields, villages, coconut fields, western ghat.

The temple was cut out of a rock dating back to the 9th century. It was clearly a Jain temple, converted into a Hindu temple in 1250A.D. Now it is under the control of Devasom Board.

The entrance of the temple made with three stones without any attachment. Inside the temple there is an image of Bhagavathy. Among the three rooms, two rooms are empty. The temple has many stone pillars. Puja is done in the morning and evening everyday.

In front of the temple there is a pond with many fishes. But it very polluted. Near to this, there is a rock named as Urunchi Paarai (sucking rock). The local people say that, there is a hole in the rock. If we fix our nose in the hole and suck, water will come out by the hole.

The cave now has a mandapa, a verandah and a bali pita. Carved in half-relief, the figures of the Tirthankaras and attendant deities indicate that this was once a Jain monument. The central shrine has three chambers.

In the middle is the figure of Mahavira Tirthankara and on the left, Parsvanatha Tirthankara, and to the right, Padmavathi. Above the central shrine is a brick gopura, a portion of which was apparently destroyed by lightning.

Take care, because there is no facility for the tourist people. So, it is better to to Chitharal with a group or family with proper planning.

Nearby Attractions :Thiruvattar Adikesava Perumal Temple, Mathur Aqueduct, Padmanabhapuram Palace,    Thirparappu Water Falls,   Petchipaarai Dam, Perunchani Dam